Thursday, June 5, 2014

3rd year (JHS) Have you ~ yet? Rilakkuma Worksheet

Recently I have been doing past participle lessons, which can be extremely confusing even for me! I usually turn to Learn American English Online when I am in doubt about the correct form of verbs. He has a pretty good chart here. We have gone over these a lot in class lately so I didn't really need to spend a long time reviewing the verb forms. I do use a verb chart and a power point to get them reacquainted though. We also play a short game of Criss Cross (which I actually call "Front, Back, Left, Right" (more on that later)) with the question "Have you ever ~?" because they had just learned that grammar. Then we do a listening test/reading test that involves a copy of my schedule. This is actually a pretty accurate representation of how I spend my day and it only takes most of them 2 minutes. Their midterm was also coming up so I thought that it was important to get some listening practice in.

 
Once they complete this they file it and they receive their next worksheet, which is more fun and gets them out of their seats, because like many of my activities, it is a signature collection game:
 


I always, always make a big version of the worksheet and put it on the board with magnets. I say, "This is my worksheet, and I am writing my name and class". I write with a big purple marker. Then I demo the WS by walking around and asking a few students the questions from the start. On this WS they must ask the question and then write their friend's response as Y or N and then say, "sign please". When they have gotten to the finish they receive an OK stamp from me and go back to their seats. This activity takes about 10-15 minutes and is very easy practice for them. On the flip side is bingo.

On this Bingo sheet they write the second part of the question, for example: "studied English yet?" I demo this with my big copy and when they complete it I demo the activity, which is simply to ask me any of the questions that they have written down. If I say, "Yes, I have", then they can cross out that box on their sheet and it is also applied to the rest of the class. So, if one person says, "Have you read a book yet?" and other students have that written down, then they can also cross off their block. If a student gets bingo they receive an OK stamp.

All of these combined with a short review of the verbs at the beginning should take about 45-50 minutes.To be fair I did borrow these ideas from a fellow ALT who runs the website English Web Book. It is a fantastic resource, but sometimes he uses things I don't like, such as Starwars (I know it's very unpopular to have that opinion, but I don't give 2 hoots about that space western). I also like to make my own materials. There is absolutely no problem with borrowing any of the ideas you see here, contributing your own in the comments, or simply using the worksheets that I have created. Sharing is Caring. :D

Link to materials:
Schedule
Rilakkuma have you yet WS
Rilakkuma have you yet bingo
Powerpoint Review

No comments:

Post a Comment